Pages

Monday, July 25, 2016

Week 2, Phase 1 brings you Turkey Chili

I was down another pound this morning.  This is just mind boggling to me.  I am sitting here eating a luscious, juicy peach as I write this.  Not because I was hungry but because it has been 3 hrs since dinner.  We went for a 2 mile walk after dinner, my water quota is met and I am feeling very good.

I have none of the symptoms I suffered the first week so it was obviously just my body detoxing from the caffeine, alcohol and sugar that it was used to getting.  Since I have started this new eating plan and decided to take better care of myself, I have been flabbergasted that 2 of my friends have been hospitalized with heart problems.  My dear friend, Miss Sue (gives you some idea of how young my children were when we became friends) had a pulmonary embolism that affected her heart.  She underwent surgery and was able to go home today.  My friend, Mary, who I met when I was in 6th grade had a heart attack this morning.  She underwent surgery to have a stent put in and is resting comfortably.  These incidents are giving me a lot of motivation to stick with this eating plan!!


Of course, it is easy if you can eat meals that you enjoy and I really enjoyed this Turkey Chili that I adapted from the recipe found in the Fast Metabolism Diet Book.  I think you will too!

Turkey Chili
adapted from The Fast Metabolism Diet

1 lb Ground Turkey Breast
1/2  of a Vidalia onion, diced
2 T. fresh parsley leaves, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. chili powder or to taste
1/4 t. chili pepper paste or to taste
1 (15 oz) can black beans
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans (I used ranchero for a little extra zing)
1 (15 oz.) can great northern beans
1 (15 oz) can lentils
1 large zucchini, diced (about 4 cups)
4 cups chunky tomato soup, not milk based (I used 2 different brands)
1 t. seasalt or to taste

Place the turkey, onion, garlic, chili powder and chili pepper in a large, non stick skillet over med high heat.  Cook and stir until turkey is browned and onions are tender.  Remove to a slow cooker. Pour the soup into the skillet and cook over med high heat, deglazing the pan by bringing the soup to a boil and scraping up any brown bits that were stuck.  Pour over the turkey.  Rinse the beans and lentils and ad to the slowcooker along with the zucchini.  Stir to combine and cook on high heat for 4- 5 hrs or on low heat for 6-8 hrs.  Stir in salt, taste and season as needed.  Print Recipe


3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. Sorry to hear about your friends. Hope they will both be okay. That is scary!! Does the book have a lot of recipes? Are there food plans also. Like what to eat day one, day two, etc?? I should just buy the book, I guess. Good for you Wendy .So proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue is home and doing fine. In fact, I just got home from visiting her. Mary is being released tomorrow morning and we will meet up for lunch or dinner as soon as she feels up to it.

      The book does have quite a few recipes and I also bought the cookbook. I have sent you info by email of the app I downloaded onto my phone. It gives you the entire 4 weeks of eating plans at your fingertips.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Wendy! I will look into the app.

    ReplyDelete