Pages

Monday, October 12, 2015

I'm still here and sharing a Heart Healthy Turkey Chili recipe.

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth.  I have just been very busy.  Mostly with my other blog, A Day in the Life on the Farm.  We had back to back events, first Pumpkin Week and then Choctoberfest.

I did try to make a couple of healthy healthier dishes during these events that I am going to share with you over the next few days.  I haven't been as active as I should have but Frank and I did go on a hike last week and today I walked over to my friend, Kim's house to visit so that is a little over 2 miles round trip.

Since Frank underwent the heart cath that resulted in two stents having to be inserted into the main artery that leads to the back of his heart, we are trying to move more, eat healthier and imbibe less. This chili is perfect if you are trying to lighten up and include more vegetables into your diet but best of all it tastes great!


I used ground turkey and sauteed it up with the veggies in heart healthy olive oil.  I added 3 different types of beans, a quart of tomatoes and a full can of pumpkin.  Take that heart disease!!!


Pumpkin Chili

1 lb ground turkey
1 small onion, diced
1 jalapeno, minced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 t. ground cumin
2-3 t. chili powder
1 qt. tomatoes, diced or crushed
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
2 t. sugar, if needed
hot sauce to taste

Heat olive oil in a large pot over med high heat.  Add the turkey, onions, peppers and garlic and seasonings.  Cook and stir until vegetables are tender and turkey is cooked through.  Add the tomatoes, pumpkin and beans.  Lower the heat to medium and cook until heated through and flavors meld.  Taste and add sugar if tomatoes were acidic.  Season to taste with hot sauce and serve.  Print Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment